What is the MTM program?
MTM is a graduate program designed to tackle the management of the planning, development, acquisition, assimilation, commercialization, marketing, forecasting, entrepreneurial and financial aspects of technology and innovation. The program is designed to be appreciated by technical professionals such as scientists, engineers, technologists, and technopreneurs (technology entrepreneurs) who wish to receive formal education in technology management. Furthermore, the topics of competitive strategy, quality management, knowledge management and legal issues in technology management are also dealt with.
The UP MTM graduate program, formally established on February 23, 1995, is the first of its kind in the Philippines and in the ASEAN region. Being an interdisciplinary course program, it draws from the expertise, experience and perspectives of nine (9) UP Diliman affiliated units; the College of Science, College of Engineering, College of Business Administration, School of Economics, College of Social Sciences and Philosophy, National College of Public Administration and Governance, College of Home Economics, Asian Center and the Institute for Small-Scale Industries.
In general, the program covers the following:
- The administrative science in the planning, decision making, development, and implementation f technology.
- The development of operational capabilities such as manufacturing, distribution, and field services.
- Operational processes, tools and techniques, and people who make it all happen.
- Guidance and leadership aimed toward the development of products and services.
- Business strategy, organizational cultures, and the business environment, and vice-versa.
- Managing interdisciplinary components and managing their integration into a whole system.
For a description of the actual subjects offered, kindly refer to the detailed course description page.
- Technology Management is NOT just R&D Management.
- Technology Management is NOT just Engineering Management.
- Technology Management is NOT just managing information, research, development, manufacturing, or the activities of scientists and engineers.
- Technology Management is concerned with (1) the integration of the various technology-related functional activities into a system and (2) the management of the system as well as its component activities.
Technology professionals are encouraged to take the MTM program to see a broader perspective of the nature of technology and its implications to the inventor, entrepreneur, investor and the external environment where belong to. Apart from seeing the program as a venue for self-improvement or for climbing the corporate ladder, a greater emphasis is put in national development through policies, systems and programs developed through proper management of technology.
Students and graduates can expect a deeper appreciation of a management course highly inclined towards technology. Furthermore, they will gain a more diversified skill set and expertise to be able to address the challenges encountered by technology professionals and as technology managers.